Data visualization: The 50 largest fund families

I created this bubble chart of InvestmentNews’s retail mutual fund family ranking data for 2010 to better visualize the structure of the mutual fund ecosystem in the United States.

Retail mutual fund investment in the US takes the shape of an atom with a nucleus of three trillion-dollar protons and dozens of $20 to $300 billion electrons.

Three families manage half the money

The top 3 fund families account for 50.4 percent of the total assets managed by the top 50. The next 47 families share the remaining 49.6 percent of assets.

Click the field below to interact with the visualization. Then mouseover each bubble to see the fund family name and asset level.

An earlier visualization of top independent US broker-dealers appears here.

 

Tags
Recent Comments
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *